Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Social contracts

It's become ludicrously cold out there. Tonight's low is supposed to be -12, and tomorrow's high is -2. I know that's not so bad for you folks from Alberta, but I'm feeling it. And today was one of those days where I wish I could have called in Snow Day. The roads weren't horrible, and the only people I saw having trouble were the people who were driving as if it wasn't snowing. Which was tricky, because it was snowing.

The thing that bothers me about these days, though, is the conversation. I hate people asking me if it's cold enough. I hate jokes about how cold it is, I hate being asked if I'm staying warm in that ironic, sly manner people have. This is what passes for humor. This is what we do when we have nothing in common, and our lives are basically boring, and I'm making you nervous. And your laughter, that ridiculous, dishonest, filling in the gaps of your empty life laughter... I can't stand that.

1 Comments:

At 5:15 AM , Blogger Daryl Gregory said...

I completely agree. This is why I've long been an advocate of going back to the time-honored method of establishing group trust and bonding: grooming. Instead of saying to people things like, How 'bout them Cubs? I just start combing through their hair for nits. You wouldn't believe the effect this has on people.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home