Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

C.V.

First off, thank you Daryl for the new blog title. Everyone update your bookmarks to reflect this brilliance.

Daryl raised a question in the comments that I want to address on the main page, and that's whether I should be concerned about my current coworkers, or potential future employers, reading this blog.

I make a point of not expressing an opinion here that I wouldn't express in public, among people who might know the people involved. My bosses, to be honest, aren't internet savvy. Maybe they find this place, maybe they don't. These posts don't express opinions that I haven't expressed directly to them, either in meetings after some massive mistake, or during my annual reviews. The fact that I've made clear what I think needs to be done to correct our poor corporate performance and those things have been largely discarded in favor of what I feel are bad policies and poorly considered hirings and firings is the source of most of my frustrations. When things go badly and cost the company large stacks of cash, and it's always one or two people who cause these mistakes, and you then fire the people who knew how to do their jobs and don't fire the people who don't know how to do their jobs and then hire people who don't seem to do anything other than hold meetings and talk on the phone with people who never do any jobs with us. Well. You understand my fundamental disappointment in your regime.

As to future employers? Hello, future employers! Will you respect my opinions in areas where I am knowledgeable? Will you compensate me for my work, appreciate the time I put in and the discipline with which I complete tasks? Will you *not* reward lazy people? Will you hire coworkers because of their skills, rather than in spite of their skills? Will you *not* ask me to lie to clients? If a problem occurs, is your first priority to get to the source of the problem, correct it, display full honesty to the client, offer just compensation and implement core changes that will prevent the problem in the future?

Then I think we're going to be okay.

4 Comments:

At 10:58 AM , Blogger Psychophant said...

Speaking like someone who does at times read CVs and employ some people, it is not your attitude what concerns me, as I find it quite healthy from what we see of your working environment, but the message that sooner or later, and if it depends on you it will be sooner, you will make a try to become a full time writer, and meanwhile your writing is more important than your work.

Which is most likely untrue while you are at work, but that is the message I get.

 
At 11:09 AM , Blogger Tim Akers said...

That's actually a valid point, and I've been upfront with the people I talk to about employment. I tell them how much the book paid, how long it took me to finish the project, and how much I expect future work to pay. They usually stop worrying at that point. But yes, my commitment is to my writing. That has all sorts of implications to the people who know me.

 
At 11:17 AM , Blogger The Brillig Blogger said...

First off, my toenails do not smile when I clip them. Though I can arrange the pieces of clipped nail, and make a nice smiley face out of them, and maybe someday I should do that and post the picture on my blog. For a one-minute old getting to 36 years old would be the halfway point, but now that you've made it to 36 the odds are that you'll make it past 72, so I'm not sure what your new halfway point would be. This would actually be an interesting thing, to see when it is (& probably sometime in your 40s) that you can no longer say that half your life is probably still ahead of you.

 
At 6:52 PM , Blogger Daryl Gregory said...

Glad to be of service, Tim. Please continue making with the rants and the moaning.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home