Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Like green peppers, not peppercorn. Different meal.

I enjoy calling my mom for recipes. It does her good, and it does me good, too. She's a pretty good cook in that purely traditional mode that most mothers fulfill. Nothing spectacular, but solid food. I was planning on making pepper steak last night because I hadn't had it in a while. I went out and bought everything I felt should go in, then read through a bunch of recipes but couldn't find anything that really grabbed me. So I called my mom and got her recipe. Surprisingly I had accurately remembered most of the product. I bought too few onions, too many peppers. Didn't get tomatoes because, honestly, even though I've eaten that dish a thousand times at home I never remember there being tomatoes in it. I guess I don't like it with tomatoes.

And it was good. There are things I want to add to it. Maybe some crushed cashews. Probably more garlic, maybe shallots. It needs a broader range of flavor. But it was a good meal, and my mom was happy to talk food with her son.

1 Comments:

At 11:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm-pepper steak sounds good. Thanks for the note about Mom's kitchen. We actually were chatting about you at Christmas. Mom made the comment that you used to love her kitchen. You know how things happen in the past and then you really wonder if they did? Well I thought Mom was making up your love -- hahahah! She now has the proof in a comment.
Happy New Year to you and Jen.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home