Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Monday, December 15, 2008

I can always make excuses to stay

Yesterday it was fifty degrees and sunny. Last night it started raining, and that turned to freezing rain, then sleet and finally a hard, bitter snow that froze into a crust like some kind of arctic brulee. The temperature dropped into the single digits, and this morning the wind chill was well below zero. I hate it here. I'm just saying.

On friday as I was leaving work one of my coworkers said "Hey, I'm having one of those after-business-hours meetings, so if I don't see you on Monday, it's been nice working with you." And, of course, she's not here today. Position eliminated, and my one of my bosses is taking on her responsibilities. And on friday I thought she was kidding, because honestly we can't afford to fire her. There are things about the post office that only she knows. Plus my boss, the guy who's taking her job, he doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

This is more than just firing someone to cut costs. It's a fundamental lack of insight into how the company functions. She was our only CSR. We now have no customer service reps. We've replaced them all with sales people who don't know jack shit about the business. My boss even said that. "We're replacing the details people with a more holistic approach. We want to look at the big picture stuff, here." We have six people in the office. We can't get rid of details people. There are details.

Listen, I really couldn't conceive of this. I thought she might get a talking to, because her attitude has been poor, but it's been poor because we're working in shitty conditions with shitty people and getting paid shit for it. I can't say that clearly enough. The only way I show up everyday is by making the very conscious decision to not care about my job and just letting it roll over me. But fire her? That's not just short sighted or clumsy, it's stupid. It's reckless. People call to ask questions of their new CSR, and he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. But god he'll drive to your shop and shake your hand and look you in the eye and smile like a clipped toe nail.

Anyway. I keep saying nothing gets better here, but things do get worse. Everything sucking is one thing. The people in charge making clear-eyed decisions that make everything suck even more? That's the tops.

4 Comments:

At 3:56 PM , Blogger colin said...

Imnottryingtosubliminally
insettheideathatyoushould
movetoCaliforniaandstarta
writer'scommuneintoyour
headnotatallnosir

 
At 7:49 PM , Blogger Daryl Gregory said...

So, Shadoth. I love these rants, and no one does soul-crushing work misery as amusingly as you (it's like a dirge you can dance to). But I can't help but wondering, does no one at your work -- I mean the six people remaining -- know you blog, or know how to google your name? Or if not them, then the people interviewing you for your next job? I don't want to blow a good thing -- for me, I mean -- but I don't know how much further you can go without, like, entering the Blogger Protection Program.

But besides that, Preach on, my brother.

--d

 
At 9:09 PM , Blogger colin said...

You know, my subliminal messages would probably work better if I could spell.

 
At 2:07 AM , Blogger mythusmage said...

And how does it feel to be working for Amish Tech Support?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home