Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Conundrum

I've been reading up on the health insurance plans offered by the potential nominees. I'm in the strange position of preferring McCain's current plan. Strange.

Update: My wife and I were talking about this, and the best example we could come up with was car insurance. Here in the US your car insurance is pretty directly tied to your driving record, and you're required by law to have insurance. My insurance is low because I haven't had a ticket or been in an accident in almost 20 years. My co-worker has astronomical rates because she has about a dozen "moving violations" on her record.

Move this to health. Stay healthy, don't pay much insurance. Get sick, pay more. If you're chronically ill? Well, I don't know how you keep up on the payments. How do you structure that? Would insurance cover preventative maintenance?

Overall it strikes me as a selfish position. I'm healthy, why should I pay for your illness? But what if they did this to auto insurance? Should I cover my co-worker's driving habits? For that matter, should I cover her eating habits and smoke breaks?

The most important thing about this plan, from my perspective, is that it frees insurance from the business realm. Good for small business and the self-employed.

3 Comments:

At 6:16 PM , Blogger Shaun Farrell said...

Hi, Tim. I just read about your novel sale in Locus and I wanted to drop a line to say congrats. Well done! You give me hope.

 
At 1:01 PM , Blogger Tim Akers said...

Thanks, Shaun! When the book comes out, maybe I can do your show? Eh?

 
At 1:36 PM , Blogger Shaun Farrell said...

Sounds like a date to me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home