Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Well, I'm between projects. I turned in a story for an anthology over the weekend, and I don't want to move forward on my other project until the details are firmed up. But I don't want to sit around an watch television, either. I spent some time last night just kind of daydreaming, working on ideas for an unrelated series in my notebook. I dug up a plot and world from before I started writing seriously, something that needs to be seriously scrubbed before it can go anywhere, but it holds a special place in my heart. I don't know when I'll get around to actually writing it, mind you, but it's nice to have space to just run around and have ideas without having to meet deadlines or editorial expectations.

One of the things that will need changing is the naming conventions. I had been reading too much Jordan at the time (I'm one of those people who loved the early series, then fell away around book five or six when he got carried away with the description and lost sight of the storyline) and the names are all high fantasy. One of the god's name? Shadoth.

2 Comments:

At 11:18 AM , Blogger colin said...

Aha. It this high fantasy naming thing bad because it doesn't fit the story, or because you've changed and now it's just too twee?

Would be nice if there was something new for Dead Channel... a guy can dream.

 
At 11:36 AM , Blogger Tim Akers said...

I'm going to go with "too twee". I'm going to continue using the names in my notes, just for ease of reference, but they'll have to change if I ever get around to writing text.

Ah, yes. Dead Channel. Appropriately named, sadly. I should try to get Algorithm up there...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home