Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Monday, January 21, 2008

My sword is a realm of suffering

So, a couple things happened today. First, I was diagnosed with tinnitus. That's a persistent ringing in your ears, for no good reason. Mine seems to have been triggered by a head cold, and might go away. It might not. It really isn't that loud, to be honest. I only notice it when it's quiet, and it really only sounds like a muted television is on somewhere. That high pitched sound you get out of electronics, you know? I'll probably get used to it just as it's going away.

I also finished reading Steven Erickson's Gardens of the Moon. It's the first of many books in his series. I was a little skeptical at first, what with the guy on the front with the Miami Vice beard and the mullet, swinging a two-handed sword. But the storytelling was good, and the world is...deep. I don't know. It's the highest of high fantasy, but I enjoyed it a lot. There are some really big moments in the book. Gods ascending, ancient forces gathering, "Save yourself, wizard, the earth has nothing left for me!" Bash boom cities blowing up. But it's a great time.

4 Comments:

At 11:56 AM , Blogger colin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:57 AM , Blogger colin said...

You're not kidding about that cover. (But hey, if I drew it I'd probably be ecstatic).

Good luck with the ear thing.

 
At 12:03 PM , Blogger Tim Akers said...

Hey, the cover I have doesn't have the girl on it. Why would you remove the hot girl? What are they thinking!

Marketing exec:Let's talk about this Garden thing...

Marketing drooge:Okay, for the mass market release of this book, we want to do something to punch up the cover. Now, here's what we have...

Exec: Nice, nice. I like it. But there's something that's just not right.

Drooge: It's the mullet...

Exec:No, the mullet stays *runs hand through balding head, remembers Rockin' with Dokken* No, I think it's the girl. Yeah. Lose the hot chick.

Drooge: Uh.

Exec: Do it!

 
At 6:11 PM , Blogger Splitcoil said...

Hm. You know what that guy's thinking? He's thinking "Damn. I just realized my arm's not long enough to get my sword out."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home