Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Monday, November 12, 2007

Back from WindyCon

I'm back from WindyCon. Well, I was back yesterday, but yesterday was just about unwinding. Recovery is nothing like getting over WFC or anything, but still. Downtime. This will be an incomplete report, because I'm quite busy.

I drove up Saturday morning and registered. While I was paging through the schedule my agent walked by. We went off to some quite corner and I signed an agency agreement and went over stuff. More on stuff later, when I can unpack it fully. Went to some panels, which were mixed. One, about medicine and healing in a fantasy environment quickly devolved into people talking about their chronic gout. Devolved, I say. But I really enjoyed the panel on American and Canadian fantasy, how the voices differ. I think a lot about what it means to be an American fantasy writer, when the environment is so dominated by celtic and germanic iconography. Especially, in my particular sub-genre, love poems to London.

Saturday night, feeling great. Dinner with the JABberwocky folks, then back to the hotel to drink free alcohol. There is a distinct difference between "local fan con" and "World Fantasy Con" when it comes to room parties, but I made the adjustment. I ended up in the bar for a while with Tobias Buckell. Turns out we have a lot in common. I ended up in the room party for a Chicago Fan group, and that was a lot of fun. Toby showed up there later, and we sat around and yelled loudly to each other about industry stuff. Wandered some, drank some excellent bourbon with the MidWestCon folks, talked Aztec. Saturday was good.

Sunday was complicated. Mostly dominated by driving my agent around to various bookstores, doing recce for a kind of driveby signing he had planned for today with Toby and Jim Hines. That was work; a lot of running through malls and suburban driving and horrible parking lots. I didn't eat enough Sunday, either, so by the time I left the con I was ten sheets into a bad headache and very, very tired. And that's why I'm only posting today. And not posting much, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home