Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mead Brand

Demolition on our bathroom started yesterday. And finished. Not a big room, but it's kind of weird to come home from work and the bathroom is just down to the studs. It's a bigger room without walls. Or cabinets, or a tub, or a toilet. And it's partially open to the attic, so it's kind of cold in there. Pictures are being taken, I assure you.

I know this is several years too late but Dear BSG writers. Starting every episode with a scene, and then cutting to 48 hours ago, and then advancing the scene, and then 36 hours ago, and then the scene...that's not clever. It works once in a while. Like, maybe once in a season. Stop it.

Not much else going on. Work is slow. I got a new moleskine notebook, all apologies to Uncle Gibson, who recommends Field Notes. I'm writing in green ink for a while. Uh. Yeah. I think that's it for today.

I should point out that I don't actually write fiction in my moleskine. I make notes, I brainstorm... generally I just talk to myself and sometimes that leads to story stuff. It's a process. Sometimes I write fiction in there, but never full pieces. I'll write some stuff, type it up, print it out, write some more on the back of those pages, type, print, write. I've been doing that since 5th grade, I think. I also write in marbled Mead Composition notebooks. I don't know why. It just feels right.

2 Comments:

At 10:34 AM , Blogger Jayf said...

Tim-I can appreciate your paragraph about being an obessive scribbler. I am a notebook fiend for as long as I can remember, although I mostly write and edit on a computer. But the notebook thing has never gone away for me, and I also have at least one if not more notebooks open when I'm working on the computer. Notes, thoughts, etc.
And funny thing, I also started writing a journal (or whatever one calls it) in a marble mead notebook - for me it was seeing Biloxi Blues while in high school, the character, Epstein, kept his journal while in the army in a marble notebook. I literally started one the next day. Freakish but true.

 
At 12:35 PM , Blogger Psychophant said...

I actually got Gibson to sign my then current moleskine notebook, though now I have changed from pocketbook to reporter format. I seldom reread what I write, except for actual notes, such as food or wines.

Instead I have found it helps me to make up my mind, to put things down in writing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home