Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Monday, June 04, 2007

This is how I feel about The Transformers, and other things. My complicated toys.

What's it like to grow up? I mean, really. When you come in contact with the things of your past life, what does that feel like. And when you look at something, a place or an activity, that you held close to your heart and realize that it's not there for you anymore, that feeling, that affection. Is that pain? Is it just nostalgia, and is that any different. When you put something away, maybe for the last time, to be hauled around in boxes from house to house, closet to closet, for the rest of your life. Is that stubborn? To think that this used to be important to me, so I'll just carry it around forever, even if it isn't important any more?

4 Comments:

At 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Besides Transformers, now they're also doing Speed Racer. Is nothing sacrosanct?

Though the giant robots do look cool.

BTW, my email for you is out of date. Send me a note and we can catch up.

 
At 2:28 PM , Blogger Tim Akers said...

I was never a Speed Racer geek. Not enough robot.

My email for you is also, sadly, out of date. But you can find me at shadoth at gmail.

 
At 2:46 PM , Blogger colin said...

I am a packrat. I hate throwing stuff out, or selling it. But I will do it, eventually. I got rid of my old comic books. I got rid of my drum set (actually, I gave it to my brother to dispose of, but that's pretty much the same thing). I even got rid of a lot of my old books and role-playing stuff.

Still, it's always there, that feeling that I shouldn't let it go. Maybe if I keep this thing, I'll use it again someday? Maybe I can pass on this cheap plastic junk or tattered book to future generations and they won't look at me like I'm some crazy old man (which I will be, assuming I'm not dead when they get it) before they throw it in the trash? No, probably not. I guess I should just get rid of it.

 
At 7:49 AM , Blogger bootsofblack said...

Oh, to empty the deepest recesses of storage in the house -- and donate or toss more than is put back. I can dream, no?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home