Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Monday, February 26, 2007

Does anything else matter? Does this matter?

Last week marks the one year anniversary of the current work in progress. I had high expectations for the book, and I suppose I've made some pretty good progress, but I'm much less far along than I intended, even when I wasn't pipe-dreaming. I've been doing a lot of thinking, about life, about writing, about what's important and what's not. I feel like I've become complacent in my station. I hate my job, but I have an easy paycheck. I hate chicago, but I have property and social ties. And I know, this is the worst part, I know that I'll just sit here in the crappy job and write one night a week and keep telling myself I'll get out eventually, but I won't. So. Thanks for listening.

3 Comments:

At 5:20 PM , Blogger colin said...

Well, that's cheery.

Yeah, one night a week is not enough.

You get ups and downs, right? Sometimes you feel like you're never going to accomplish anything, and other times you think you might... just... be able.

I think it happens to everyone and you just have to find some way to tough it out through the bad nights.

I have a fucking relentless optimism. You have heroic hair and actual talent.

Now, I will continue to read your half-finished novel, and I will send you blistering criticism, and hopefully you won't travel cross-country to injure me for it, but I will do it. So.

 
At 5:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, there are people who do overly bold and stupid things to break out of a rut. But I wouldn't recommend that to everyone.

Maybe you need to find a different day job, but keep writing your way out of having to have a day job at all. Different experiences can get the creative juices flowing, I think.

But then again, what the fuck have I written lately?

 
At 7:04 AM , Blogger Tim Akers said...

I should just learn to not post when I'm that far down. Much too melodramatic.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home