Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Surprise the former, Expect the latter

So I made the long-list for the BSFA, but totally didn't make the short list. Surprised, then not surprised. The opposite would have been silly.

It's been a slow month, writing-wise. I finally reloaded my pen last night and got a couple hundred words done. I keep going over the same chapter...I think I've written it five or six times now. I wanted to start writing non-sequentially, just hitting the stuff that interested me, but the fact is that this chapter is simpy too important to the rest of the book. How it happens, how the interactions between characters go now will dictate their relationships through the rest of the book. So I can't skip, not until I have this one piece solid. Stupid narrative flow.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM , Blogger colin said...

Congratulations on being long-listed.

I have a lot of trouble writing non-linearly, as in, I've never really managed to do it. I always need to grind through the whole thing from beginning to end, pretty much. It's not that I don't have ideas for scenes and gaps between them. It's that I always end up working on the story in order, filling up the gaps as I go. That probably explains how I get stuck so easily.

I visit here every day, too, by the way, mostly for the hair.

P.S. I have a half book of yours I'm reading. I am reading it. I will get back to you on it, as soon as my comments are completely irrelevant.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home