Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Someday we will refer to something as TimCon

So. It looks like I won't be going to WFC this year. Not really by choice, mind you. WFC is one of the few cons to cap their membership, which I applaud, and they've reached their cap. I was a little surprised to hear this. Last year I made the decision to go on August 19th (checked the blog, don't have robot memory) and had no trouble getting in. So, I asked myself, why have they reached their cap so quickly this year?

Neil Gaiman. He's the GoH. So I'm thinking, and forgive me if this offends you, but I think this year's WFC is going to be a fan con. A NeilCon, to be precise. So maybe missing isn't such a bad thing. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun. Neil's people tend to be fun. And yes, I could put myself on the waiting list and hope something opens up, but that's just not my way. I'll see most of you at Worldcon, and then there will always be next year. Toronto, right? The Canadian WFCs tend to be smaller affairs anyway.

In the meantime I'm fully engaged in the next project. It's exciting to write something new, something completely unlike my previous work. I think I established some bad habits in Veridon. Nothing terrible, but I was still learning to write, and they were fundamental things in the narrative that couldn't really be corrected during the process. So I'm coming to this new project with a clean slate and the opportunity to apply those lessons. Anyway. I'm feeling good. Two days ago I woke up with what could only be described as optimism in my heart. I was looking forward to the day. I don't do that, especially when I didn't have anything specific to look forward to. Just the day, like any other day. I guess I'm trying to say that I'm enjoying things more than I used to. Or something. Whatever.

1 Comments:

At 2:38 PM , Blogger Daryl Gregory said...

Dude. There's usually memberships as people figure out they can't go. Do you want me to keep an eye out? I need to have you there.

Meanwhile, have fun on the new project. As my pal Matt Sturges says, ever knew project is a chance to atone for the sins of the previous ones.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home