Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

The sound of people who are too busy to despair

I really hope you people don't sit around waiting for me to update this thing. I do all my talking on twitter these days, so even if I'm feeling productive you might never see it. But some things can't be properly meditated on in 140 characters, so here we go.

I should start with the cutbacks at work. The firings are officially over, and we've basically been floundering. Like I said, we as a company were working over capacity. People were working ten and eleven hour days on a regular basis. Work quality was suffering because we had too much on our plates. Morale was in the pits. And in this environment, we were still losing money. You see? There's something fundamentally wrong with the way that we're doing business. Our processes, our services, our business model...something is broken. And when you present these problems to management, you get a speech about how great our team is, and how we're going to buckle down and work through this difficult time together. Sorry, kids. There are things that gumption can't fix. And no one here shows any sign of fixing the things that are actually broken. It's a bad culture. That's all I have on that.

Oh, and there are pay cuts across the board. They tried to present it as "furlough" but we'll still be working. You don't know what furlough means. Only you do know what it means, and you just decided to not be honest with us. You tried to spin it. We understand. We know how this game works. Buddy.

Other than that shit, my life is pretty good. We got moved into the rental with little hassle. The dog has acclimated well to the new environment, which is a real relief. We're all on one level now so she can get to us no matter where we are. Still adjusting to her walking into the bedroom at three in the morning. Freaks me out.

2 Comments:

At 11:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All this summer I have been looking for something exciting to read and I found your book Heart of Veridon. I'm on page 85 in the paperback. Wow! I love your style and can’t wait to finish this book and read more.
Thank you,
Angie

 
At 4:12 AM , Blogger Tim Akers said...

Glad you're enjoying the book, Angie. I'm always glad to hear from readers.

My next book, The Horns of Ruin, is out in November. While it's not a Veridon book, I'm confident that readers of HoV will enjoy it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home