Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Thursday, September 03, 2009

A whole new Rebellion

As Woodrow notes in the comments of the last post, Rebellion Press has purchased Solaris. You can read about the details here. It looks like Solaris will continue as a parallel imprint to Rebellion's other line, Abaddon Books, and will be under the editorship of Jonathon Oliver.



I don't really know what impact this will have with current or future Veridon works. Ideally, this announcement would have been made a couple months ago, so booksellers would have the comfort of knowing Solaris was going to be around when the question of picking up my book was being asked. I think it's too late to alter the US numbers, but it will definitely help in the long run. Overall I'm encouraged by this. When I first heard about this deal, back when it was all still tenuous and wrapped in lawyers and not something I could talk about, there were a handful of concerns I had. Most of those have been addressed, and I suspect the other questions will be at least answered in the near term. My biggest concern was that Solaris would just be dissolved into Abaddon, but that doesn't seem to be the case. My second biggest concern was that I don't remember having seen an Abaddon book in a US store. Their distribution on this side of the pond didn't seem that thorough to me. As you can see in the press release, they've secured Simon and Schuster to distribute, which is who Solaris was using. So that should be seamless. Hurrah!



Until I (really, my agent) talk to the new editor, I have no idea what the new group's plans are with future Veridon titles. Of course my first priority now is to Eva Forge and the Pyr series. If we start unrolling Veridon titles as well... I could be a busy guy. But we'll see.



Long and short: I'm happy. Lots could have gone wrong with this, and it certainly has impacted the release of HoV. But that is behind us, and there's nothing to be done about it now. Onward, my children, into The Future!

5 Comments:

At 10:55 AM , Blogger colin said...

Good to hear! Fingers crossed for future Veridon books. I won't be satisfied until I can read Pancreas of Veridon and That Little Bit That Dangles in the Back of Your Throat of Veridon.

 
At 11:40 AM , Blogger Aetius said...

Definitely good to hear. :)

 
At 3:05 AM , Anonymous Mike A said...

Sounds like good news. Are you going to do any podosphere pimping? Would be great if you could bag an interview with Mur Lafferty on "I Should be Writing", or Shaun Farrell on "Adventures in Sci-Fi Publishing".

 
At 4:29 AM , Blogger Tim Akers said...

As it turns out, I accepted an interview request with AiSFP last night. It's not until World Fantasy, and there'll prolly be some delay between interview and release, but yay! It's my first interview!

I'm going to be so INTERESTING!

 
At 2:51 PM , Anonymous Mike A said...

Cool, I look forward to it.

At least you'll have the benefit of editing. My band's done some live interviews on local radio - man, it's so hard not to swear! I mean, what are you supposed to do for punctuation? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home