Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Now that's DENSE

Do you like brie? Brie cheese? I like brie cheese. Whole lot. But when I buy it, I feel a sort of obligation. You can't get good brie in small quantities; the little brie wheels are pretty much crap. So I buy it in this wedge of brie, and it's not cheap, so I feel this obligation to consume the whole thing. I hate throwing out any of it, so I buy the wedge and I race to finish it before it goes bad. Put it on everything...crackers, sandwiches, toast. Man, I love brie. But after a while I hit some sort of overload. Like, my body can not possibly consume another ounce of this wonderful stuff. So, I guess what I'm saying is that they should start selling brie in more reasonable quantities, so thugs like me can roll with it.

Speaking of dense, I've been listening to a lot of the indie rock. I love saying that. Like it's a fucking genre or something. Yeah, this is so Indie. Woo...good times. So anyway. Listening to a lot of obscure little bands (obscure to me. I'm sure you people know them all, being so elite) and I end up on this forum, lurking and observing and whatever. It's a strange scene. A broken social scene, you might say. (how hot was that? so hot you might not have even gotten it. so hot)

Like most fora, this one strays. Let's talk about our cats or movies or, you know, whatever. And one of the threads is Let's talk about our favorite sf books. People! Lemme tell you something! For being all snobbish about their music and look at my obscure lyrical references and all, these people (the ones on this forum, mind) are very bland in their book tastes. That's a blanket statement, and I shouldn't make blanket statements, and I'm sure there are a lot of people on there who read challenging and interesting and enlightened texts. Just not the ones posting.

So. That amused me.

2 Comments:

At 7:34 PM , Blogger Marshdrifter said...

What, do they all have an Interzone subscription or something? :p

I suspect that people who support the Indie classification want to feel special. Well, not the Indy class. That's something different.

A train-wreck favorite of my wife is indiebride.com. The kvetch forum is the singularity of daytime talk show fodder.

 
At 1:02 PM , Blogger colin said...

Mmmm. Cheese.

Yah. So anyway, old-fogey doesn't-listen-to-music and all-around-idiot colin here got your reference thingy, so I guess it's only lukewarm.

Forums. Ick.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home