Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Slipping aside and waking up

Novel fatigue. Only word for it. I'm at probably 50k words, and I can't write anymore. I can't even think about it. I've just been so close to it for so long that I can't approach it with any kind of discernment. Do these characters make sense? Is the plot cohesive? Am I using the same words and descriptions over and over again? Who knows. The point is, I don't know. So I'm stopping for now. I took last week off from writing completely. That's a big break for me. This week I'm starting on a short story, and then maybe I'll read the book to date and see where I am. Or maybe I'll write another short. Or maybe not. We'll see.

On another front, I got my copy of Interzone 206 a couple days ago. I'm very happy with it. First of all, it's the first time my name has appeared on the cover. Not at the top, or even in a place of prominence, but it's my name, and it's the cover. Because I rock.

It's a very satisfying feeling, and the story itself is one I'm proud of having written. Though, as with all of my stuff, I can see how I'd write it differently if I had it to do again. So this short that I'm working on now will probably be influenced by that, revisiting the old spy-ence fiction noir that I so desperately love. Happy happy.

2 Comments:

At 10:40 AM , Blogger colin said...

Holy s**t! You posted on your blog! You must be on vacation.

 
At 8:07 PM , Blogger Marshdrifter said...

With my writing, I find that a vacation helps me view the project from a fresh perspective. It makes me a little more objective about what I'm trying to say and I think it makes the end product a bit more professional sounding. My thesis is a perfect example. I was pretty proud of it when I finished it and successfully defended. It was, imo, a very professionally writting paper. Reading it two years later and I can't believe what a load of crap it is. I can now see a bunch of flaws that I'm fixing (for publication purposes).

Time away really helps.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home