Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Thursday, June 02, 2011

Akersville needs a motto. How about "Grim Reality Since 1972"

Borders conspires to make me look bad. This morning the number of Borders in Chicagoland to have Dead of Veridon has doubled. My agent believes that the whole chain is having trouble with their supply line, so expect the numbers to pop up sporadically.

Also, I'd like to point out that The Horns of Ruin is still doing decent numbers. Not huge numbers, but consistent, comfortable numbers. This in spite of the fact that it can't be found in most bookstores. It's developed some kind of inertia of readers who are seeking it out despite the fact that it's not in their local big box. I think I have a lot of independent booksellers out there to thank for that inertia. That and the liquidation at Borders. At least one reviewer said he picked the book up on a whim at a Borders that was closing. If that flood of purchases leads to wider readership and positive word of mouth, that's a good thing.

So. It's not all grim and gray here in Akersville. I think too many writer's blogs are either an unending flood of delusional self-promotion, or just depressing. I realize I come off as depressing sometimes, but I try to look at the simple realities of the industry, and I try to be honest with my readership. Sometimes those realities are depressing. Sometimes they're serendipitous. Sometimes they're just numbers.

Today I'm just excited about what I'm writing. You will be, too. Trust me on this one.

4 Comments:

At 10:27 AM , Blogger Roger said...

Just a few lines to tell you how much I enjoyed "The Horns of Ruin." Can we look forward to a sequel? How about a prequel? You've invented an enormously rich, complex world here, and I sense the existence of an extensive backstory.

 
At 10:50 AM , Blogger ehle said...

I just finished Horns of Ruin myself. I got it for I think $.96 at frugal muse on clearance. Now that I've read it I have to say that was a vastly under-priced.

This was good brain candy - the pacing an character reminded me of something from Jim Butcher or Simon Greene - but the vast unexplained setting was reminiscent of Zelazny - that marvelous feeling of walking into the middle of a deep and rich history that lacks any explicit explanation - allowing your mind to participate in filling stories and actively participating in the state of willing suspension of disbelief.

A real delight.

Anyway since I got it for less than a dollar, I'd like to buy you a beer to make up for it since we both live in Chicago. I'm a bit busy the next couple weeks meeting my brand new Son - but after that I'd be game.

 
At 7:21 AM , Blogger Tim Akers said...

I apologize for the delay in my response to both of this wonderful comments. It's a real joy to have people drop by and say nice things about my books. Writers work in isolation, so knowing that the product of that isolation brings happiness to someone else is always nice.

There may someday be more "Horns of Ruin" narrative. I'd like to pick the world apart and maybe tell a broader tale in that world. Like you say, there's a lot in the backstory that's worth telling, and a lot in the aftermath of the book that interests me.

As to buying of beers, feel free to tap me on the shoulder at Windycon and make the offer. I will not turn you down. Probably.

 
At 5:33 PM , Blogger R.S.Tilton said...

I thoroughly enjoyed Horns of Ruin. I did see the ending before it happened however, I have my kids reading it now. The world would make a great Role-playing Game campaign setting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home