Dancing to Dirges

Depressing and happy things Tim says, sometimes while drunk

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Meditate

This is a little late, but that's in keeping with all things 2009. Here are my thoughts and observations on the year.

There are two events that loom in my mind. I changed jobs, and my first book came out. Big things, and bigger things are coming, but let's start at the beginning of the year.

In January I had been talking to the good folks at DSA for about two months, and had just been told that it wasn't going to be an immediate move. That was discouraging, but there were indications that it was a move they wanted to make, so there was hope for the future. The future ended up being around mid-summer. It was a good decision, but not a permanent one. I'm here until I can work the finances to write full time. That's happening at a reasonable but not breathtaking pace.

The things I like about this job: The people I work with, the final product that we produce, and certain aspects of the corporate culture. Things I dislike: Certain of our clients, the insanely long hours during the busy time, the fact that I'm still working in direct mail. I don't like the things I do, specifically presorting data and keeping current with postal regulations. It's boring. Changing jobs also interrupted my writing schedule. There was a period of time when I was working 60-70 hours, and I just didn't have a drop of creative energy left. It was bad. It will be bad again this year, but at least this time I know it's coming.

Above all, it's not writing full-time. But very little is.

The second thing that impacted my year was the book. That goes back a couple years, but things really started happening in March. Solaris announced they were going up for sale. We did some stuff, tried to move the book, tried to get them to release the rights... a lot of business. It didn't work out the way we were hoping, but hey, the book still came out. Pretty much everything we were worried would happen as a result of the Solaris sale happened, mostly related to sales numbers but especially in distribution and support. This happens. I'm getting on with my life.

Other than the book coming out (which is all sorts of YAY! don't get me wrong) I also sold the second book in the Veridon series and a first book in another series. I'm very excited about both these projects. I'm also getting to the point where I have a lot that I want to do, and I don't have the time to do it. I work all day, I go home, eat dinner, watch a little tv to unwind. Then I write. Some days I'm weak of spirit and only get a little bit of writing done before I log in to WoW or go sit with my wife, or whatever. Some days I have to clean the kitchen, and can't get my act together. There's a lot that I want to be doing and I'm not doing it, just because of time. There will come a point when this changes, but it wasn't last year and it probably won't be this year.

Nothing much else. Here, on the sixth day of the year, I feel like the whole year is accounted for. I know what my writing schedule is going to look like, I'm contractually locked up through December (though I have a little project in mind, and another that might present itself) which is a first.

Oh, I'm probably not going to any conventions this year. Worldcon is in Australia, World Fantasy hasn't impressed me the last couple years, I can't make Dragon*con or Comicon due to work. I'll probably still go to Windycon, just by default. Oh, and I might take a vacation this year. Won't that be quaint.

4 Comments:

At 7:01 PM , Blogger Marshdrifter said...

Just yesterday, I was thinking of asking you what it takes to be financially supported by your writing so that you could write full time. I figured it would require 10 novels and a movie option, but perhaps not. So, what's your goal there?

 
At 9:08 PM , Blogger Tim Akers said...

As an individual? My royalties would have to be sufficient to cover my annual expenses. But as a couple? My wife makes good money. It's a matter of adjusting your expenses to your family income.

 
At 2:52 PM , Blogger The Brillig Blogger said...

some of my clients, Peter Brett, let's say, swear by World Fantasy, so I'm curious why for you it hasn't gotten your jones up the past couple years.

 
At 5:40 AM , Blogger Tim Akers said...

Well, it was very important in my early career. I met you there, for instance, and Lou Anders as well. But it's become a largely social con, and I'm just not that social of a guy. In years when my schedule is more free I'll probably go, but as a career event it's just not much of a thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home